Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fall Colors

I've been working on clothes for autumn. Calling it a wardrobe is a little far-reaching. It's not so much a case of a SWAP - sewing a co-ordinated wardrobe of 11 units - but more a case of each piece matching the one before it.

I find myself more creative with color and texture when I do the latter. With SWAP's, I pick my 3 or so colors and then find it hard to bring in new or unexpected notes. Also with only working to match one to the one before, I can stop any time. Works much better for those of us with shorter attention spans.

I've made up the first two pieces:

The first piece is Vogue 8152, View B:The fabric is a very transparent mesh from Ressy's Yahoo co-op, that I double up for the bodice. In face the pattern is perfect for fabrics that can or need to be used doubled. The two bodices are sewn together at the neckline which gives a lovely clean finish. The sleeves I left one layer. It's still really see-through, so only nude bras will do.

The second piece is a russet linen skirt. I love the lines of this skirt from the current Marfy catalogue and I was really happy to find this pattern from Burda WOF, 6/06.


The silouhette of the skirt is so very good on me. But I'm wondering if the whole thing doesn't look too 'up-tight 40's secretary, after taking off her glasses and letting her hair down'. Heeheee. The shoes don't help, but I love them.

The next project lined up is an olive skirt that can go with the top and a striped rayon/linen to match the two skirts.

And a brown jacket to round things up.

I have too many sewing projects planned - for me as well as some for my little boy. I think I'll make a list here, to keep me more realistic. And more honest.

8 comments:

  1. You look great! Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love the outfit, but the new body is fanTAStic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Had to come see your new blog. Wow! You look fabulous. Congratulations on the great weight loss. Love your new outfit.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. No dear Touran. You look like the sassy, sexy secretary who gets invited out to dinner at all the best places! I love the whole outfit, but especially the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you look so great! The colors, balance, and overall fit is excellent. My first thought upon seeing the pic was that you were channeling Enora from the short-lived (yet excellent) "Firefly" series - very feminine and just a bit sexy and very "I just had this lying around" elegant. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great, and I think you're onto something for those of us who have short attention spans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:04 AM

    Beautiful! I am so glad to find your blog here. I always enjoy your reviews and those witty comments. Happy blogging and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog! Love, love, love this on you, especially that skirt!

    ReplyDelete