Thursday, April 17, 2008

Summer Bag

I decided to join in the PatternReview Bag Contest.  I've never quite completed anything for any kind of sewing contest or sewalong.  But a bag?  Surely even I can commit to a bag in a month.  Because if I can't, I really have a serious problem.

This is a print from Kokka Fabrics (Japanese), for View D from Vogue 8506.


It's a lightweight print, so I fused it with Vilene H410 and used muslin for interlining.  I'm hoping it's the right combination for a semi-structured bag like this.  A PR member mentioned using many layers of fusing to get just the right texture and weight for a handbag.  It had never occurred to me before to do this, but so far it's working out right.

The pattern is great, bar a few problems.  It's clear without being verbose (you hear me, Amy Butler???)

Meanwhile my winter project is languishing without a hem.  This is Vintage Vogue 2884.

I changed the lapel roll and it's beautiful.  But everytime I try to buckle down and sew up the hem, the sun comes out and the temperature hits the 70's.  So I grab the cottons and linens.  And then it snows.  Aye!!  This is the sad lot of the procrastinators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment